There’s a few things Mr. Foodie and I gravitate towards for lunches on the weekends when it’s warm outside. BLT’s, cold Tuna Sandwiches on toasted bread and cool Bean Salads. With the cost of bacon being so ridiculously high these days the BLT’s are few and far between and as it turns out we were both craving some tuna the other day. Instead of sandwiches I decided I wanted a cold macaroni salad. But I wanted something different than my usual mayonnaise based dressing with celery, onions and whatever other thing I feel like throwing in at the time. I was thinking about it and for some reason I thought of tartar sauce. In all honesty, I think the thought of tuna made me think of fish which made me think of the Panko Crusted Cod which reminded me how the crust tasted like a built in tartar sauce. I’m telling ya, I can’t get that fish out of my head! It’s like I’ve been possessed…or maybe I’m just obsessed, or maybe both!
So any way…why not? It’s fish and I happen to be a tartar sauce hound. I will dip darn near anything in tartar sauce, French Fries being my all-time favorite, even above fish. It sounded right so I ran with it since I had everything I needed.
Tuna Macaroni Salad with Tartar Sauce Dressing
a Justa original
- 6 ounces Medium Shell pasta
- 3 5 ounce cans tuna, drained (the picture only shows two but I ended up tossing in a third can)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons onion, diced (I don’t like a lot of onion in my tuna)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I would reduce this to 3/4 cup next time but leave all other ingredients the same…it was just a tad bit wetter than I like)
- 1/4 cup dill pickles, diced finely
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- few splashes of Tabasco Sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to chill pasta down.
While pasta is cooking, drain tuna and place in a bowl. Flake with a fork then add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
Cover and refrigerate until well chilled and flavors have blended together.
Give this a try. It’s different but GOOD different!